Wednesday, January 09, 2008

iris grill


iris grill, originally uploaded by awungfoo.

over the weekend, i saw that a number of restaurants had a 3 for $30 price fixed menu. I never heard of Iris grill in Issaquah's Gilman Village and decided to go.

Neil had the bacon potato soup. I decided to have a taste and was surprised that it was very watery and bland. Neil didn't like it. We both expected a heavy cream thick soup.

My mussels looked good until i realized it was slightly undercooked. The sauce itself was so salty, I had 2 and left the rest.

The veal in pastry puff was recommended as a substitute for their osso bucco which is no longer on the menu. Really, it was the only reason i wanted to go. So when it came, I was disappointed that the meat wasn't as tender or "braised" as I had hope. The pastry puff was cool in some places and searing hot in others. Remember the episode of "Top Chef" where CJ overcooked his broccolini, that's how i felt about the 2 asparagus topping the veal.

The chocolate cake looked and tasted like a hard ding dong.

I really really wanted to enjoy everything and it seems everyone around us was enjoying their meal. Then again, none of them ordered the 3 for $30. I saw huge dishes of duck confit, scallops, entree salads.

Oh well.....

1 comment:

gt said...

I'm Matt, the Chef of the Iris and I gotta say that I feel horrible about your experience at our restaurant. From the bland soup to the salty undercooked mussels( i do cook them just until they open and a few seconds more), to the "ding dong" (we just changed that) sounds like it really sucked! Anyway I would love to invite you back in for dinner on me. I promise that you will not regret it. I always say that one can't please all the people all the time, but we strive to please most of the people most of the time...